- Marlene Grinnell is named Newsmaker of the Year. We can't really argue with this but we think the Newsmaker of the year should be the all the Langley Voters whose apathy and appalling turnout was the most significant event of the year in the Langleys! Others argue the Newsmaker is the local newspapers which did a gawd awful job in reporting the real candidates, choices, issues and generally not inciting the voters to vote at all.
- Great news: the RCMP are targeting repeat offenders and the drug trade in the Langleys. By the way, like clockwork at 3:30 AM every morning drive by the 200 St Tim Hortons and see how many squad cars are having a break. I wonder if crime stats are up at that time?
Langley Times - Wednesday, January 4, 2006
- Bucky is going out of his way to be neutral to all candidates in his editorial. We wonder how long this will last but of note he does give a big front page splash to his fav which quite frankly(excuse the pun) is not news at all but just fluff. Will Brooks get front page splash? The biggest comment is when Wawa says: "more federal funding...( for 204th St Overpass)...may be impossible to attain". Wow, my hero!
- Anybody want to buy the real newsmaker of the year home?
- Township staff report suggested changes to help increase voter turnout. Right on and get on with it.
- Letters to the editor focus rightly on million dollar animal shelters but no investment on homeless shelters. May we suggest the $5 million open air Grandstand that Kim Richter headlines in this week's Richter Report right here in little ole Langley Free Press. Come back later tonight to view Richter's part 2 of 3 Grandstand Out of Control column.